Started in 1501, after the preaching of the Servite friar Elia da Brescia, the palace was completed in 1531. It it still shows its original street door strengthened with iron bands and part of the inside fresco paintings, once covering every internal wall. On the façade the symbol of the “Monte”, a German statue of Mary with the dead Jesus on her knees, and a venetian winged lion, partly hammered by the Jacobins in 1797. There are also many coats of arms of the venetian rulers who granted the independence of the Public Pawn Brokers, a role the nobles always tried to have access to. Most of the inscriptions have been thoroughly erased by the Venetians in 1691, according to a strict law that wanted to prevent their own rulers to become too proud. Inside the building, under the ground floor arcade, there is the little church dedicated to the Holy Virgin “della Salute” where there are art pieces by Andrea Brustolon (1662-1732) and Leonardo Ridolfi (1684-1758).
Source: Marco Perale
Piazza Mercato, 26, 32100, Belluno