Opened on May 15th 1865, at the end of fifty years of Austrian rule, as a patriotic symbol of the cultural unity of Italy although still divided at that time. Actually it was just a new dedication, since the bronze bust of Dante was placed on top of the older venetian Renier gate, built in 1669 by the venetian rector Daniele Renier, from which it took the name and whose coat of arms still can be seen above Dante’s statue, on the right side. This XVII century solution also was the development of a middle age postern, a little door in the city walls placed just between the Dojona gate and the Castle. This one was called Ussolo, wich means exactly “little door”.
Source: dott.re Marco Perale
Piazza dei Martiri, 15, 32100 Belluno