Neoclassical building designed by Giuseppe Segusini in 1833-35 on the place of the ancient city grains storage (there is a last piece, the old architrave, fixed to wall on the rear of the theatre), a much smaller building that used to exist beside Porta Dojona, leaning on the city wall . On the façade, similar to other building designed by Segusini in the same years in the rest of Veneto (as in Feltre or Serravalle) and even in Austria, where the theater of Innsbruck is an interesting variation of the bellunese architectural theme. The entrance stairs are flanked by two resting lions, carved by Pietro Zandomeneghi, like the stucco figures above the lateral entrance doors leading inside the Municipal theatre. All around the building, nine stone and bronze busts from XVI and XVII century portraying the venetian governors coming from the old city hall, destroyed in 1832. The inside has been adapted one first time in 1866 and again in 1948 and 1993.
Source: Marco Perale
Piazza dei Martiri, 2, 32100 Belluno