Dedicated to the memory of the bellunese pedagogue Aristide Gabelli (1830-1891) the Elementary School was built in 1933-34 with internal and external spaces designed by Agostino and Guglielmo Zadra to ensure the best possible didactic application of the Montessori-Pizzigoni method, tested and brought to Belluno by Pierina Boranga, a local teacher. This educational method asked the pupils to experiment personally what they were taught in each and every field, and this required wide open spaces, because Italian economy in the Thirties was particularly linked to agriculture. The School was built on the site of the first city railway station, opened in 1886 and moved north in 1928, when Belluno was finally connected with Cadore and Vittorio Veneto.
Source: Marco Perale
Via Girolamo Segato, 30, 32100, Belluno