Designed in 1939 by architect Alberto Alpago-Novello and built in 1947 to substitute an earlier, lower building with arcades in order to complete the monumental northern side of the square, already altered by the XIX century insertion of the Cappellari della Colmba palace by Giuseppe Segusini, whose dimensions somehow gave the proportion the new building had to follow. Typical of the time and of the style that Alpago-Novello had matured are the dimensional and proportional solutions he adopted, especially inside. The creative use of interior circular space is of particular interest. The upper sculpture on top of the façade was by Salvatore Saponaro.
Source: Marco Perale
Piazza dei Martiri, 43, 32100, Belluno