The Top 10 selection. The best 10 things to see in Belluno selected by Belluno Turismo.

Martiri Square

It is the square of Belluno, a garden in the center of the city, the living room enclosed by an arch of palaces of the most important Belluno families. In the past the square was known as Piazza Campedèl or Campitello. The name indicated the area where fairs, events and the market were held, starting…

Saint Stephen Church

Built between 1468 and 1491 by stone carvers arriving from Como for the Serviti Order, on the site where there was already an ancient church: on the left wall of the building is fixed a mourning inscription written in early Italian (the so called “volgare”) in 1349. Inside there is the Cesa chapel, started in…

Tower

It is the only surviving element of the ancient city wall of Belluno, although it is closed by the modern buildings that during XIX and XX century have deeply modified the outlook of this part of town. It was built in early middle ages as the eastern corner tower of the city wall. Its ancient…

Municipal Theater

Neoclassical building designed by Giuseppe Segusini in 1833-35 on the place of the ancient city grains storage (there is a last piece, the old architrave, fixed to wall on the rear of the theatre), a much smaller building that used to exist beside Porta Dojona, leaning on the city wall . On the façade, similar…

Post Office Building

Built in 1936-38 following a project of the architect Alberto Alpago-Novello, it rose on the site where in the part thousand years there was the city castle, almost abandoned already during the last centuries of venetian rule and completely dismantled after 1806, when the city Jail was built on the same place, while the stones…

Rugo Gate

The historic southern gate to the city, from the old river port of Borgo Piave. At the beginning of XIX century have been heavily modified the side fortresses which defended the gate, the two little towers that flanked it (le “Torricelle”) and the large tower that existed on the left. Of the original structure, entered…

Cathedral

A first building, probably early Christian, is documented in 548 ad was dedicated to St. Martin of Tours by the bishop Felice, during the gothic wars between Byzantines and Ostrogoths. On the façade fragments of stone decorations from the VIII, IX and X century, arriving from some older religious buildings that once surrounded the cathedral.…

Baptistery

Built in 1516 on the site of an older church dedicated to St. Martin. After the demolition of the old Baptistery in 1555, when the square was enlarged after the construction of the new cathedral, it took both the title and the function. The 1873 earthquake destroyed the nearby little church of St. Andrew, from…

City Hall

The present building was realized in neogothical style in 1838 by the architect Giuseppe Segusini on the site of and with some architectural elements from the old Palazzo Comunale, called “La Caminada”. The old building was demolished because of the impossibility– at the time – to restructure it. According to local historicists the original building…

Rettori Palace

For almost four hundred years it was the seat of the venetian rectors sent by Venice to rule over Belluno and its territory. In front of an older fortified building erected in 1409 (and completely burned in 1802) was added in 1491 by the venetian rector Maffeo Tiepolo a first lodge with a three arch…