Built between 1468 and 1491 by stone carvers arriving from Como for the Serviti Order, on the site where there was already an ancient church: on the left wall of the building is fixed a mourning inscription written in early Italian (the so called “volgare”) in 1349. Inside there is the Cesa chapel, started in 1485 with a large wooden altarpiece and paintings by Matteo Cesa (1425-1499) and his brother Antonio and frescoes by Jacopo da Montagnana (1440-1499)). On the left there is the “Madonna Addolorata” (“Grieving Madonna”) Chapel opened in 1737, with the statue given in the past to Giovan Battista Alchini (XVIII century), a pupil of Andrea Brustolon, whose features show instead some northern influences. On the walls paintings by Cesare Vecellio (1521-1601), Nicolò de Stefani (1520-1599), Francesco Frigimelica (1570-1649), Antonio Lazzarini (1672-1732) and others. The church is also enriched by two large lamp-holding angels and a crucifix carved by Andrea Brustolon (1662-1732), arriving from other churches in Belluno, closed in Napoleon’s time. Similar is the arrival of the stone gothic portal now on the south side of the church, with the statues of the patron saints of the city of Belluno, moved in 1893 from the suppressed church of Santa Maria dei Battuti. The bell tower, built in 1480, shows a big stone clock dial divided in 24 spaces instead of 12, following the so called XV century german style.
Source: Marco Perale
Via F. Ostilio, 2, 32100, Belluno