On a tower-house of the XIV century that traditionally belonged to Gaia da Camino (same name, but not the lady quoted by Dante in his “Divina Commedia”, Purgatory XVI, 140), the Persico family built its palace during XV century and enriched it between 1496 and 1506 with a stone façade decorated with sculptured mythological figures and zodiac signs. The palace is the best example of bellunese private architecture in the Renaissance. After 1596 its possession passed to the historian Giorgio Piloni, but around the building started a long legal battle between the Persico and Piloni families. It underwent heavy internal transformations during the centuries and a terrible fire in 1933 destroyed it almost completely: only the façade survived. It was rebuilt in 1941 following a plan designed by architect Alberto Alpago-Novello, who brought it back to its XVIII century outlook. Now it is the seat of the Entrepreneurs Association of Belluno Province.
Source: Marco Perale
Via S. Lucano, 34, 32100 Belluno