The building is one of most characteristic results of the production designed by the bellunese architect Riccardo Alfarè (1882-1969). It was built in eclectic style in 1926 completely rearranging an older building that in XIX century was the city salt depot, but up to venetian time was the old church of Santa Maria Nova (“the new”), built in 1326 together with the nearby little Hospital and destroyed after closure and confiscation in Napoleon times. At the time it was the most western extension of the new city quarter of “Campedel”, born outside the city wall, where the artisan area of Borgo Tiera started, where potters had their quarter since the middle ages.
Source: Marco Perale
Via Giacomo Matteotti, 2, Belluno